Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Power Pics

     I made my first power pics this week!  We have been going over the rules for making plural nouns and I kept wishing I had a power pic for it. I checked second grade PPs, and while I didn't find one to cover the rules, I did find several that I could use throughout the year.  I took those, and gave the others to a second grade teacher at my school who has no experience with WBT.  She was thrilled to find one to use the very next day.
     I made my own for the plural rules, and made up my own motions.  They look a little different than the official ones, but my students didn't care.

photo.JPG  (You can see them more clearly in my forum post http://www.wholebrainteaching.com/Fifth-Grade/6939-Power-Pix.html#8989)

Last year, I used power pics at the time I introduced the concept.  This year, I am using them to front load.  For example, (yes, I did the example popper motion as I typed) our measurement units in math are not until the spring.  They move incredibly fast, and the kids struggle to do conversions between units.  I decided to start introducing a few of the measurement PPs (Quart, cup, pint, etc) now to see if the advanced exposure would help them in a few months.  Often, my students are like lab rats- I love to try new techniques on them!

Happy November!

1 comment:

  1. This is great news! At first it looks like they will be hard, but then you do it and realize it's not that bad. The only problem now is, you won't be able to stop making them!

    ReplyDelete